I think we have beta. Hopefully stable too. Time to start testing in tuning. I realised that I have 5 different Android devices laying around the house and tested it on each one. Also, now old iPad – the original – was able to provide pretty good performance. Also three different Windows machines ran it […]
Flags! Flags everywhere. I need to stop with Buzz meme. Empires as starting points, and their colours. Plundering and conquering now working! Fight for yie empire. TIL that you can reduce texture by ¾ by disabling mipmapping. And yet by another ⅓ by using rgb565 instead rgb888. Circumnavigation finally. So many things to keep in […]
Bugs. Bugs everywhere. How is this thing even working so long without exploding. We now have three threads: main / GL, slow but light / network, and slow and heavy (terrain generation stuff). Nothing can go wrong now once we are in thread shared dynamic memory world. Once all is working – optimisations. So many […]
Looting! :D Let the necessary violence begins. Floating barrels and chests. Anchoring. Ship swapping seems to be working. Better birds and dolphins. Fade in out screens. Pretty. Network issues and disconnects handled with warning and reconnects. Putting more prep work in main screen and town screen.
So much fun and so much win with terrain textures. GL is used in main rendering thread so all texture shading is done with cpu. Weighted functions for perfect transitions. Will have 16 different textures mapped in world. Oh, and unplanned – sand beaches! It really is starting to look…charming.
Intown completed. Idea came: unique royal titles per city for each player. Around 4k towns with around 7 royal titles to grant. Experience plays a role. Still wondering about whole guilds and city attacks gameplay. I think I’ve found all sounds and music I need – thanks incompetech!
Market completed. It..works. Not sure about prices and margins being well adjusted. Moving to shipyard, tavern and mayor. I don’t think I like non-3D game development that much.
In town work. Backgrounds. Controls and items. Made bunch of own UI classes, seems to be working fine. Probable reinvented the wheel but that seems what all of this comes to. Market well under way.
This is dragging so long, I already needed to change major versions of Marmalade SDK and Node and even GCC! Learned to save money by using Amazon Spot instances and trial licences.
So, ships and houses are completed, trees and bushes under way. Focusing on MVP concept (minimum viable product) – let’s earn a single dollar asap. So just want to get this done with, supposedly plenty of time for perfecting and tuning later on.